Sunday, April 26, 2009

Blog post

I think since the book started, the one main character i didn't pay attention to the most was the commander's wife. Now, I'm wondering about what she thinks by all this. I mean, she must be bored as hell sitting at her garden or doing nothing every day. How does she relaly feel about all this stuff? I mean, was her and her husband a happy couple before this whole thing? Does she love him? I would think that she needs to love him in order for her to feel jealousy and hatred for Offred. And I feel that she does hate Offred. Why else would she want to help Offred get pregnant? Also, this whole story have been told in the view point of Offred, a woman, someone who's not supposed to know a lot in this book. What I want to see was the big picture, the whole thing happening with society. Who control the commanders? Who control the aunts? How are people everywhere reacting to the situation? What "work" do the commanders actually do? How are the politics in this new world? Also, I wonder what is going on with the resistance? I mean, they obviously had quite a number of people, if so does it only consist of women? If there are men in the resistance, then how are they fighting against the system? This society seems really boring, and as we can see, Offred thought of suicides a few times, what keeps all the other handmaids from killing themselves because of boredom? I mean, what were their lives before? To have everything taken away from them, they must have been suffering the same way that Offred is, maybe worse. They might not live close to interesting people like the Commander or Ofglen. I could already see this system and society coming to an end very soon. People who aren't happy aren't going to be productive. All they are doing is work and no play, they will overturn this system due to growing discontent among the people

No comments:

Post a Comment